I., Halászbástya, 15/03 to 15/10 an entrance fee must be paid between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m., 16/10 to 14/03 free of charge.
The main façade of the Fisherman’s Bastion, running parallel to the Danube, is approximately 140 metres long. The seven stone towers with their pointed tops symbolise the leaders of the Hungarian tribes who conquered the country in 896. It was built in place of the old fortification walls in neo-Romanesque style between 1895 and 1902 on the plans of Frigyes Schulek, who was also in charge of the reconstruction of the Mathias Church. The Bastion takes its name from the guild of fishermen that was responsible for defending this stretch of the city walls in the Middle Ages.
Hungarian State Opera House
VI., Andrássy út 22. (+36-1 353-0170, www.opera.hu)
The Opera House opened to the public on 27 September 1884 with a gala performance featuring the overture of Bánk bán, followed by the overture of László Hunyadi (conducted by Ferenc Erkel) and the first act of Lohengrin (conducted by Sándor Erkel). The building, erected in neo-Renaissance style on the plans of Miklós Ybl, is among the finest 19th century monuments in Budapest. The richly decorated interiors were designed by renowned Hungarian artists such as Mór Than, Károly Lotz and Bertalan Székely.
V.,, Roosevelt tér 5-6. (+36-1 268-6000, www.fourseasons.com/budapest)
An outstanding piece of Hungarian Art Nouveau architecture. Completed in 1907 on the plans of Zsigmond Quittner and the Vágó brothers, it served as the Budapest office of Gresham Insurance Brokers, London. The first floor used to accommodate the renowned Gresham Café, where the Gresham Circle, a group of Hungarian artists held their meetings. As of today, Gresham Palace houses the luxurious Four Seasons Gresham Palace Hotel.
Gül Baba’s Tomb
II., Mecset utca 14, entry: Türbe tér 1. (+36-1 326-0062), 01/03 to 31/10 Mo-Su 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., 01/11 to 28/02 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Gül Baba’s Tomb, built by the Turks on the Eastern slopes of Rózsadomb during the 16th century, reminds us of the times when most parts of Hungary were under Turkish reign. During its most recent reconstruction, a genuine Turkish coffee house and an exhibition hall were established, adjoining the pilgrimage site.
Ferenc Liszt Academy of Music
VI., Liszt Ferenc tér 8. (+36-1 342-0179)
The Art Nouveau-style building that houses the Academy of Music was erected between 1904 and 1907 on the plans of Flóris Korb and Kálmán Giergl. Its main hall is an outstanding piece of early ferro-concrete construction in Hungary. The inside of the building features precious decorations such as ornamental glass and glass mosaic by Miksa Róth, frescoes by Aladár Kriesch as well as eosin-glazed tiles and ornaments from the Zsolnay Porcelain Manufacture, Pécs. The main façade includes a monumental statue of Ferenc Liszt by Alajos Stróbl. (Currently under reconstruction.)
Hungarian Academy of Sciences
V., Roosevelt tér 9. (+36-1 411-6100, www.mta.hu)
A nationwide campaign was started to raise money for the building in 1860, with the design competition launched in 1861. Construction works begun in the spring of 1862 under the supervision of Miklós Ybl and Antal Szkalnitzky. The building was inaugurated on 11 December 1865. The frescoes in the Ceremonial Hall were painted by Károly Lotz, while the small meeting room is decorated with landscapes by Antal Ligeti.
National Postal Savings Bank
V., Hold utca 4.
The offices of the Hungarian Royal Postal Savings Bank, built on the plans of Ödön Lechner and Sándor Baumgarten, were inaugurated in 1901. As of today, they host the Hungarian State Treasury.
VI., Andrássy út 39. (+36-1 484-8000) Mon-Sun: 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.
The Párizsi Nagyáruház, which opened in 1910, was the first significant department store building in Budapest. Its facade towards Andrássy Avenue was built in Art Nouveau style, while the part facing Paulay Ede Street has the characteristic features of the Neo-Renaissance. Today it functions as a bookstore with a café, which is decorated with the paintings of Károly Lotz.
Institute of Ballet
VI., Andrássy út 25
The Dreschler Palace, located opposite the Opera House, was built between 1883 and 1886 on the plans of Ödön Lechner and Gyula Pártos. The premises of the former Dreschler Café used to house the Institute of Ballet and the State Artistic Institute. Currently closed, with no decision as to the building’s new function.
XIV., Stefánia út 14. (+36-1 251-0999, www.mafi.hu) Th, Sa-Su 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Geological Institute of Hungary is the country’s oldest scientific research institute that is still in existence today. Its seat is an outstanding building of Art Nouveau in Hungary, erected between 1898 and 1899 on the plans of Ödön Lechner. The building also houses the National Geological Museum as well as an exhibition commemorating the architect.
The City Park in Budapest was one of the first parks in the world to be open for the public as well. Heroes’ Square and Vajdahunyad Castle were built at the time of the 1896 millennium of the foundation of Christian Hungary, and the building complex, which can be seen today, was continuously supplemented with other buildings. Circus, bath and museums.